No Tequila Chicken Strips
A guest post from our customer Jenni!
This recipe just SCREAMS for a margarita, but since Paul and I were in the middle of a 14-day cleanse when I created this recipe, we were officially in a “dry house”. That’s why I’ve named this made up dish, “No Tequila Chicken” — a throw-back to the “Apple-no-pie” my mom made (that is, retrieved from the fruit drawer, washed, cored, sliced, and handed to me in a little wooden bowl) when I was a little girl.
If you’re not tracking with me, I’m saying there’s no tequila in this recipe. Capiche?
The great thing about this meal was that it was a piece of cake, and could all be prepped ahead of time so all I had to do was cook and serve. And special thanks to Space Girl Organics for the organic cilantro, lime, and olive oil!
No Tequila Chicken Strips Ingredients
- 2-3 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts, thawed and sliced into strips
- 2 handfuls of fresh cilantro
- The juice and pulp of 1 large lime (after I squeeze the lime, I actually cut out some of the pulp to use because I like a lot of that lime flavor) or 2 small limes
- 1 T. cayenne pepper
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1.5 T. coconut oil
- In a blender (I actually used a Magic Bullet), blend your lime juice, garlic cloves, cilantro, and olive oil.
- Gather all your dry spices in a small container and stir together.
- Rub your chicken strips in your dry spice mixture so that all parts of the chicken are covered in the rub.
- In a sealable bag, toss your chicken strips in the lime juice marinade. Make sure the marinade reaches all parts of the chicken.
- Store overnight in the refrigerator.
- Prep any other veggies you might want to enjoy with this meal. I chopped red onions that I cooked in a skillet with black beans as a side.
- The next day, heat a large sauté pan with coconut oil over medium heat, and add your entire bag of chicken (with marinade).
- Let cook, bubbling a bit, about 10 minutes, then flip chicken and cook until done.
- Serve with whatever sides you’ve made and enjoy!