Pink Pearl Apple Stuffed Squash (gluten free)
A guest post from Ali:
I’m cooking for our local children’s home this week and having fun working on recipes for the kids. In my box from Space Girl Organics I found beautiful organic squash and Pink Pearl apples. I knew the Pink Pearl apples would be perfect for my favorite Stuffed Squash recipe. They are crisp, a little tart, and they hold up really well in baking. You can serve this as a side dish or desert. I also like it warmed up for breakfast. I hope the kid’s love it!
- 2 acorn or 2 carnival squash
- 4 small organic Pink Pearl apples, or any tart firm apple, diced
- 4 teaspoons organic raw local honey
- 4 teaspoons organic butter or Earth Balance
- 2 teaspoons organic gluten free cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons organic brown cane sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Wash and cut each squash in half. Remove seeds and strings. Wrap each in foil, leaving the top open and place on a baking dish or cookie sheet.
- Place one teaspoon of butter and one teaspoon of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon in each squash half and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl add the diced apples, brown sugar, and the rest of the cinnamon. Mix until the apples are well coated.
- Remove the squash from the oven. Divide the apple mixture evenly and fill each squash, mounding slightly.
- Put them back in the oven, for 30-40 minutes or until the squash is tender when pierced.
Originally posted on http://glutenfreehomebakery.blogspot.com/